Preparing a scientific article and submitting it to an academic journal can be tiring and demanding. Academic journals can return manuscripts for different reasons. For instance, poor quality of writing is a frequently met problem.
“English is not my native language.”
“I cannot be sure if my article has a clear and flowing style.”
“I am afraid that the journal rejects my article.”
Zeynep OzbilgeI hold a Bachelor of Economics degree from Istanbul University* and a Master’s degree in European Union Economics from Marmara University*. Since I was always interested in the field of agricultural economics, I conducted research in the same area. Two of my scientific papers were published in online journals between 2007-2016. Furthermore, a research center published the updated version of one of these papers in a book, after which my career began. After years of experience both as a researcher and peer reviewer, I decided to establish my website and give service to researchers who have problems with academic writing in English. *Turkey
- “An Analysis of Organic Agriculture in Turkey: The Current Situation and Basic Constraints” Journal of Central European Agriculture (JCEA) Volume 8, Number 2. Faculty of Agriculture, University of Zagreb, Croatia. http://jcea.agr.hr/volumes.php?lang=en&search=Article%3A469
- “An Analysis of Organic Agriculture in Turkey: The Current Situation and Basic Constraints- The Updated Version”. The book “Organic Farming- Perspectives & Experiences”. Icfai Research Centre, Icfai University, India. http://orgprints.org/16334/1/16334.pdf
- “Chronic Problems of Turkish Farmers”. American Journal of Experimental Agriculture (AJEA) Volume 12, Issue 4. Sciencedomain. http://orgprints.org/34300
How Can You Publish Your Paper in Academic Journals?
When I was working as a peer reviewer in academic journals, I had the opportunity to read scientific articles. Each paper had different problems which required different solutions. To sum up,
- Use short and simple sentences. As a sentence gets longer, it contains more mistakes.
- Pay attention to spelling and punctuation.
- Pay extra attention to grammar.
- Prefer to use the active voice rather than the passive voice.
- However, if you need to use the passive voice, do not exaggerate it. The passive should be used where it is really necessary.
- Avoid slang. It looks unprofessional.
- Avoid repetitions.
- Always know that all proofreading services do not mean “perfect fit”. Try to find a proofreader who is an expert on your subject. Do not forget that such a proofreader will have knowledge of the technical terms.